Sunday, September 04, 2005

The Shropshire Slasher

So we're spending a cozy weekend at home watching baseball and Looney tunes with the baby. And thousands of my fellow Southerners are suffering. I've been processing my response to this all week. Watching too much CNN and withdrawing from the world. At first it seemed bad but this is the US, so they have things under control, right? they have people who plan for these things. that's their job. And then the news kept getting worse and worse. And they kept holding press conferences and congratulating each other on their "response." their still doing that, and people continue to die. It may not be reasonable, but I feel that if this had hit say, New Hampshire or Connecticut heads would be rolling right now and most of the SNAFUs would not have happened. But it's the South. Flyover country, and I'm developing a persecution complex. Do what you can to help. I'm just not sure yet what that is.

1 comment:

Mary J. said...

I feel like people who aren't from the South or have never lived or visited the South have no clue about what's going on. The South is easy to forget and neglect, because we're already perceived as ignorant, stupid, backwards, and poor. I'm really angry about it. I actually have hope about Bush doing something now, since he's a Texan and all. Wishful thinking and all.

Do you miss Atlanta? How is it there?